Tuesday 17 March 2015

Britain's national bird

I love David Lindo's writing, but his campaign to find a UK equivalent to the US bald eagle seems a bit gimmicky. Nevertheless, I contributed to the preliminary poll to create a shortlist and I am sorry that my suggestion of a jackdaw did not make the final ten. My thinking was that there should be little doubt about its viability  (there were fears about the bald eagle becoming extinct) and year-round visibility. The jackdaw is also intelligent, gregarious, amusing and symbolic of post-war Britain.

But it is good to see the red kite on the ballot. Thanks to Wales and judicious immigration, strengthening the breed, the bird is a survivor as well as being beautiful in flight, so that is where my cross has gone. I'm only sorry that preferential voting is not being used.


No comments: