Monday 1 June 2015

Sad memory of the Top Rank

Forty-three years ago, Lee Harvey of the group Stone the Crows touched an unearthed microphone while standing in a puddle on the stage of the Top Rank in Swansea. Harvey was dead from the electric shock before he reached hospital, in spite of the best efforts of the band's tour manager, Dennis Sheehan, whose death last week has been announced.

I had other things on my mind at the time - the imminent birth of our second daughter and programming under pressure as part of the team forming the V part of DVL, so the sad event did not lodge in my memory. However, it occurred to me that my former council colleague Tony Wyn-Jones may have known more. This report from the Evening Post confirms that he was at the Top Rank then, but Tony also had only happy memories of 1972.



No comments: