Monday 29 October 2018

The Swiss myth

This Brexiteer argument has been doing the rounds:


When it was displayed in a Facebook group comprising people who actually know the Swiss border, it elicited such comments as:

Switzerland is in the single market and have freedom of movement, and also in the Schengen zone, in which the UK isn't. But I bet when someone says to quitters that getting the Swiss deal means accepting single market and freedom of movement, they will start stalling and shout shallow arguments again.

Any truck either driving to or just passing through Switzerland has to have a Carnet which has to be stamped for clearance. It also comes at a cost, Switzerland is a bloody nuisance for anyone shipping goods through it, why, because it has a hard boarder.

I am sorry to disappoint you...... But there are still borders and checks on what you can carry into Switzerland indeed if moving your house contents, you can't just take them into Switzerland you have itemise each piece and get the paperwork stamped.....

You're supposed to carry your passport or ID all the time there. And there are definitely checkpoints where the roads cross the border.

Surely Switzerland is part of Schengen allowing for free movement of people - one of the fundamental objections in the [Leave] campaign....?!!

 I had two boxes of tee shirts in my car on a trip through Switzerland. I either had to pay £170 duty, which i could claim back, or not go through Switzerland. The borders are monitored and there are physical checkpoints.

 If the Swiss model was implemented, Kent roads would come to a standstll. Commercial goods would have to be customs cleared in and out- trust me I've done it !!!

Took an overnight train from Munich to Milan that went through Switzerland. Got woken up at the border when the train stopped and guards with sniffer dogs came through the whole train checking passports.

 Last time I drove into and out of Switzerland I had to show my passport and get an ATA Carnet stamped.
The professional entertainment goods I was transporting were rented and were eventually returned by me to a rental company. This is why I needed thi
s particular customs document. That I showed at the border.
Checks were made. I was delayed entry into Switzerland from Sunday night and was not allowed to continue my journey until Monday morning.


Or you could just watch the Three Blokes in the Pub series.

No comments: