Wednesday 28 October 2020

Tony Wyn-Jones

 I picked up the Western Mail today in the hope of reading a fuller tribute to Kirsty Williams' work as a politician than the broadcast media gave yesterday. That proved not to be the case, though the paper did print a better photograph of Kirsty in a more typical pose than the unflattering official party hand-out. 

However, if I had not bought the Mail I would not have learned of the sad death of Tony Wyn-Jones, with whom I shared many a lively moment inside and outside of the meetings of Blaenhonddan Community Council. Although in different parties, we united in opposition to the then ruling group and its undemocratic methods. He cared for the community and the environment and even more deeply for his family. My heart goes out to them.

He will be best remembered not as a local politician but as a former DJ at the Top Rank (was it called that in his day?) in Swansea and on a pirate radio ship. I recall his being scornful of the portrayal of Radio Caroline in the film The Boat That Rocked, in particular the excessive use of bad language. They never swore that much, he asserted. I certainly believe that of Tony.


No comments: