Sunday 24 December 2023

"It's OK, lads, I'm with the AA"

 Standing on a wet grassy slope behind a crash barrier on the M4 for ninety minutes on the evening of the eighteenth while the rain steadily fell and we were steadily splashed by the usual mix of personal and commercial traffic, I did wonder whether we would have done better if we were bank robbers. (For those who do not get the reference, have a look here.) The soaking I received led indirectly to the indisposition of the last few days and thence this five-day pause in blogging for which I apologise.

Seriously, I understand the difficulties the emergency services were under that night. There must have been loads of emergency calls that night. Indeed we were probably lucky to be attended to when we were -we could have been waiting twice as long according to the emergency operator's first estimate. When Viv of the AA arrived (I don't believe my daughter, who had been driving, caught his surname) he expeditiously applied, under difficult conditions, a temporary support (a "stepney"?) for the blown tire and guided us to a garage where the correct replacement could be provided. 

The whole procedure was efficient  and as fast as could be expected, living up to the AA's claims.  I just wish the TV ad did not imply virtually instantaneous service.


No comments: