Sunday 27 January 2019

Don't tell us businesses are unaffected by Brexit

A frustrated, and now economically ex-resident British businessman has posted this on Facebook. I have changed some details and withheld his name to avoid embarrassment to him and to his business partners, but I have established that he is who he says he is and confirmed his connection with the brand he mentions.

For the last 8 years I've owned a number of high-end stores representing high-end consumer products from a major continental brand. I don't want to discuss the brand itself as I have ongoing contractual commitments under non-disclosure agreements.
I got out this week solely because of Brexit.
Two and a half years ago, after the Brexit vote, with two successful stores already, I pulled out of opening two new stores in London and the South West. Because of Brexit.
Two years ago I put my small business, that is 100% reliant on supply from the EU, on the market. Because of Brexit.
I did so because my costs had risen by over 25%. Because of Brexit.
I finally sold my business on Thursday for a comfortable sum but nevertheless at least less than 50% of its market value three years ago. Because of Brexit.
The money is now in euros at the Tallinn branch of Handelsbanken as I'm an Estonian E-Resident. Because it's not safe in Britain. Because of Brexit.
If you don't run a business, have your house and everything else on the line for it, then please don't dispute these facts as I've dealt with it first hand and watched this utter clusterfuck, that is not being reported, unfold.
I've been knackered with fear for two years and now knackered and drained with a combination of relief and sadness for having got out at the eleventh hour. Because of Brexit.

No comments: