Friday 21 February 2020

Points make divisiveness

From the European Movement this week:


Our society, culture and economy are enriched by people from across the world and from all backgrounds and skill sets who have made their home here. Given that the starting salary for an NHS nurse is just over £24,000 per year, these new rules will deprive our country of sorely needed talent.
Pulling up the drawbridge like this only serves to isolate us. Make no mistake: the government's new immigration plans are cruel and uninformed.




You don’t have to take my word for it - Guilia Savini, co-founder of European Movement activist group Best for Doncaster spoke about what the policies mean for EU citizens like her, saying:
“When the new points-based immigration system was announced, initially it felt surreal. I have been living in this country for 8 years now. I have a Master’s degree in Politics, and I work full time for a national charity. I pay my taxes, and I support and volunteer in my community. Yet this is not enough. I don’t have a PhD, I don’t earn £25,600, so for this government I am not a “good immigrant” or “one of the brightest minds”. If this system was introduced in 2012, the year I moved to the UK, probably I wouldn’t be here.
This new system is totally unnecessary and only serves to create a very unpleasant hostile environment which sees immigrants as political pawns. We are more than that! We are your carers, your neighbours, your friends, your partners, your favourite restaurant staff, your nurses.”
Tell Priti Patel and Boris Johnson to stop scapegoating migrants by signing the petition below:
SIGN THE PETITION
Together, we can stand up against the government’s unjust immigration policies.

No comments: