Sunday 30 April 2017

Sad to see Orient leave the Football League

Clearly a victim of off-field shenanigans, a club which seldom hit the heights but had a comfortable existence for most of its League history should not have been driven to this. I feel particularly sad because the first Liverpool match I watched after I moved down to London was at Brisbane Road. I can't remember any of the detail of the match except for the wing-switching of Alan A'court, who scored both the 'pool's goals, and Ian Callaghan . Orient must have been good, because they shared the spoils on that occasion and were at the end of the season joint promotees to the top division with Liverpool. What I remember most was the walk from the station (Lea Valley?) through lines of trees bearing spring blossom in a park which now seems to have been replaced by a business estate. It makes a depressing but apt parallel.

No comments: