Friday 16 March 2018

Nick Tregoning

Nick, who died earlier today, was a great companion, quick wit and fighter for what he believed in. This led to a split with the Swansea and Gower party when he recognised and warned against an attempt to hijack it by a person driven purely by personal ambition. In the end, he was proved correct but in the meantime the Aberavon and Neath party were glad to welcome him in order to maintain his Liberal Democrat membership.

He was also a good source of gossip about the workings of the party, but did his stint in making Welsh conferences work. Outside politics, he was a keen amateur theatrical and one trusts there will be fulsome tributes and reminiscences from his colleagues.

We had lost touch over the last few years, initially because of a job that took him to West Wales and latterly because of increasing ill-health. We may never know the nature of the illness which intermittently incapacitated him and which presumably was the ultimate cause of his passing. I only know that fate has robbed us of someone who still had so much to give.



4 comments:

Frank Little said...

I unaccountably missed "Cornish patriot" from the list of Nick's identities. He had also been a good constituency councillor in Swansea (though one by his own admission who found attendance on committees irksome). One would have expected the Evening Post to have found space for a tribute to a former city councillor by now.

Unknown said...

Hello Frank. As I have just been in Cornwall, I, as usual, thought of Nick Tregoning and wondered if there was a place too, rather than just a funny guy I went to Reading Tech with in 1972. I see Nick died, early at 66 in 2018. That would put him a few months older than me so the chances are good.

I have a couple of photos of Nick singing with band I had at the time - he pretended he was a bass player actually, but was such a fun 17 guy we went with him anyway. Is there someone who might appreciate these pictures? They're hardly portraits, but one of him has graced an album we made ever since then. I can send them. I can send you one if you like so you know they're not dodgy. Jeff Chambers. or 0771 237 2755. I don't seem to be able to post one here.

Unknown said...

Oh, and he looks like the same man. My version is thinner with a sort of frizzy bouffant hairstyle.

Frank Little said...

Could well be. If I recall correctly, he had a pony-tail when I first met him in Swansea. Perhaps if any of his friends who knew him better are still reading this blog, they may be able to confirm.