Tuesday 26 March 2019

Play begins earlier - thanks to climate change?

On my way to collect and then fill my prescription for inhalers*, I remarked how like cricket weather it was. And indeed, Glamorgan will open their season on Friday week. The first ball is to be bowled at 11 a.m.. The date would have been improbable and the start time unthinkable when I first started watching cricket. As I remember it, the first senior matches would have been at the end of April. Certainly, the start time was no earlier than 11:30 with lunch at 13:30. There would still have been dew on the grass at 11, at least early in the season, giving an advantage to the side winning the toss.

(* The Minister of Health in Westminster assures us that there will be no shortage of medicines in any form of Brexit, and I do not know whether Becotide and Ventolin are imported, but I thought it prudent to advance my repeat date by a few weeks just in case.

By the way, it appears from Health Questions in the House this morning that asthma sufferers in England still have to pay for their prescriptions. Apart from the threat to life this poses to people of restricted means, it must be a drag on the economy through working days lost. It is high time that the English Ministry of Health at least made prescriptions for life-long conditions free of charge, even if they cannot match the enlightened policy of universal free prescriptions in Scotland and Wales.)

No comments: