Thursday 29 August 2019

A letter from Michael Heseltine

Frank ,
On hearing today's news whilst on holiday in Montenegro, I am appalled by the government's announcement. The government's decision to suspend parliament in order to force through a No Deal Brexit is a constitutional outrage.
A government which is frightened of parliament is frightened of democracy. I hope that every member of parliament in feeling this humiliation will use every legal and constitutional weapon to obstruct a government proposing to force on the British people a historic change for which they have long since lost any mandate.  
To abandon parliamentary scrutiny is a constitutional affront. My party, the one I have worked for all my life, told the British people about the new role that Britain could play in the world. Britain has helped to change Europe from Fascist and Communist dictatorships to Parliamentary democracies. And now I am told by the leader and the cabinet of that same party that we were all wrong – that we now must become some subordinate vassal state to the United States.
This is outside anything I could ever have believed that the Conservative party would propose, and I hope that large numbers of Conservatives, as well as friends from other political traditions, will join together to resist it.
I'LL CHIP IN £5 TO STOP NO DEAL
The European Movement is working closely with politicians from across the political spectrum to create the movement of unity that is desperately needed right now. For our efforts to succeed, we need everyone to join together to promote Britain's future at the heart of Europe.
I'LL DONATE £5 TO GROW OUR MOVEMENT
Thank you for your continued support.
Kind Regards,
Rt Hon Lord Michael Heseltine
Former Deputy Prime Minister and President of the European Movement UK

No comments: