Sunday 12 September 2021

Coughing in the auditorium

 Emma Barnett in the Independent and i, and Jessica Duchen in her blog, draw attention to the reduction in coughing during orchestral performances and especially in the intervals between symphonic movements. Ms Barnett attributes this to an attack of conscience on the part of the concert-going public; Ms Duchen to the power of Korngold.

I have a more prosaic - and welcome - explanation: social distancing and mask-wearing. In addition to checking the spread of SARS-CoV2, these measures must have also reduced the transmission of the other viruses and bacteria which we have put up with for so long in daily life. Less common cold = less coughing. It stands to reason. My personal experience is that I have suffered from practically no disabling chest infection this year in contrast to pre-2020 conditions. Only now, with the ending of the Welsh firebreak, have I picked up a bug, but it is not causing me any great trouble. In turn, it is unlikely that I have passed on any of my bugs to other people.

When the mandatory lockdowns have ended, we could well see voluntary face-covering as part of daily life as has occurred in daily life. And yes, intrusive coughing during concerts may well be at an end.


No comments: