Monday 9 March 2020

Geraldine Mucha

If I had not been nursing a cold (not Covid-19, just my usual early spring affliction, contacts will be glad to hear), I would have been at a regional meeting of the Welsh Liberal Democrats yesterday and would not have taken my mind off things with the annual Radio 3 broadcast celebrating International Women's Day. I would then not have heard Geraldine Mucha's piano concerto.

Sarah Walker, in introducing the piece, said that she detected the influence of Bartok but went on to say that it was nothing like anything she had heard before. I would add Martinu as a possible influence, especially in the slow movement, but would certainly agree with her other impression. The concerto cries out for a Proms performance - and perhaps some enterprising young musician might select it as their personal choice for the next international piano competition?




No comments: