Thursday 5 March 2020

Mike Davies, perchance

It was one of those lucky accidents. The other day, I had prepared a Lidl insulated bag with another stout Lidl bag folded inside it. Spotting an opportunity to take advantage of brighter weather and an imminent bus departure, I quickly got ready and made for the bus stop. In my haste, I picked up the wrong bag. It was not until I reached the checkout that I realised my error. Too mean to buy another bag when I had plenty at home, I pressed into emergency service the other small plastic bag which I carry in my pocket, but reckoned that it, crammed full as it was, would not stand the strain of the walk all the way back from Cadoxton to Skewen. So I waited for the X8, even though I knew it would be fifteen minutes before it turned up.

It was there, at the disintegrating bus "shelter" that Mike Davies, who happened to be passing, recognised me and started a conversation about the failure of the council to replace the shelter. To my shame, I did not recognise him at first. In my defence, it had been eight years since I last met him, at the home of the late Leslie Hale during my unsuccessful campaign to be re-elected as councillor for the ward. There was a lot of catching up to do.

Mike, one of twins, had been manager of the Times Furnishing Company's shop in Neath. He had also been the leader, from the keyboard, of a small band, good enough to be chosen to back some headline acts when they visited the area. He cannily married the band's vocalist which kept the costs down, he said! Mrs Davies is still active with the Neath and District Ladies Choir.

In those eight years, he has come into his own as a photographer of the local scene and wildlife. He has been generous with his pictures, professional standard though they are. They have adorned the BBC TV weather presentations, both Welsh and national. He also contributes images to local charities, such as the Bryncoch Environment Group, for calendars, postcards etc. He also photographically documented the construction of a local wind farm, but donated his commission from the operating company to Neath Port Talbot hospital.

No comments: