Friday 1 November 2019

What happened to Michael Kittermaster?

In researching the  radio career of Carleton Hobbs recently I was reminded of the name of Michael Kittermaster. There was a period in the 1970s when it seemed you could not turn on the radio in the afternoon without hearing one of his plays. I particularly recall his Golden Windows, clearly inspired by a personal relationship with a troubled woman, which touched me at the time but would probably seem over-sentimental now. He is credited with a large number of adaptations and documentaries, often with a sub-Saharan African theme, as well as original work. Earlier, it seems he was a director of broadcasting in a British central African organisation but resigned in protest at its illiberal and colonialist attitude. Apart from all that, I can find nothing on the Web. What happened to him? Where did he come from? Is it worth another look at his work for the BBC? I should love to know the answers.

No comments: